Sometimes, you just need some protein and veggies. I came up with this salad after making my lemon basil salad dressing. I knew I wanted to drizzle the dressing on something crunchy and fresh, which made me think of juicy red peppers and romaine. But I also knew I didn’t want to be hungry later, so I added in some chicken, farro, and sweet potato. I was very happy with how this turned out, and I think you will be too.
Best for- Brightening up your desk lunch with a fresh and zesty salad.
Musical Pairing- “Good Stuff” by Griff
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 tbs preferred oil
- 1 head romaine
- 1 bell peppers (I chose red)
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Lemon basil salad dressing
- 1/2 cup farro or preferred grain
Total time ~40 minutes (mainly roasting)
- Preheat oven to 450
- Do your prep. Cube the sweet potato. Toss with oil and 1/2 tsp salt and pepper (respectively). Line a baking tray with aluminum foil and place sweet potato on top. If your oven hasn’t preheated yet, wash your romaine and bell pepper, and chop both into bite sized pieces. Once the oven preheats, pause, and put in sweet potatoes. Bake for 30 min.
- Once your sweet potato is in, cook your preferred grain according to instructions. My farro took about 20 minutes so this was the right time for me. You’re going to have extra – save for future meals (such as this or this).
- Rub your chicken with the paprika and half tsp salt and pepper. If using a grill pan, heat up on lowest heat for 5 minutes. Then place chicken on and cook for about 5 min on each side, or until cooked through. It’s totally fine to use a normal skillet, cast iron skillet, or grill! I just bought a grill pan so am excited to use it.
- Once sweet potatoes are done, put all ingredients in bowl and top with dressing!