My guess is when you hear about something “wrapped” it’s bacon related. Bacon wrapped scallops, dates, etc. Well, here is the healthy (but still yummy) alternative- salmon wrapped asparagus. It’s equally stackable and super easy to make. The hardest part is waiting for the oven to preheat. Enjoy these hot or cold!
Best for: when you’re on point to bring apps and want to dazzle the crowd with minimal effort; alternatively, when you have a feeling nobody else is bringing something healthy, but don’t want to bring the boring veggies and dip.
1. 1 bunch asparagus, ends broken off (roughly 20 – 25 spears… a multiple of 3 is ideal)
2. Drizzle of olive oil
3. Pinch of kosher salt
4. Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
5. Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
6. 4 – 6 oz smoked salmon
1. Preheat your oven to 400˚F.
2. Break the ends off the asparagus. A good rule of thumb is to break one – then line the others up and cut off all the ends according to where the first broke.
3. Place the asparagus on a foil-lined baking sheet. Drizzle or spray the spears w/ olive oil. Next, sprinkle with salt and pepper. For those who want a little kick to the dish (me), sprinkle your red pepper now as well.
4. Roast the asparagus until cooked — but not too long, since you’ll want them still firm. Roughly, about 10 minutes.
5. Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes off the baking sheet.
6. Once the asparagus spears have cooled slightly, wrap 3 speakers together with a slice of smoked salmon. Repeat with the rest of asparagus spears and salmon slices. This is why I initially suggested a number of asparagus spears divisible by 3, but 2 or 4 would also work.