This recipe is adapted from a Basically one. If you haven’t checked them out — definitely do! I adapted it to be more quarantine friendly.
Best for: when you feel under the weather or chilly, but don’t want the basic chicken noodle to perk you up! This chilly oil has a ZING to it.
- 1 trimmed leek or 1 small onion
- 6 cloves of garlic
- ¼ cup plus 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. red chili flakes
- 8 cups water
- 1 lbs chicken breast
- 1/2 tbs garlic powder
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 handfuls Tuscan kale
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups frozen corn
- Salt and pepper
- Prep first! Mince your garlic. Chop your onion/ leek. Keep separate.
- Add oil to a large soup pot. Heat up for one minute, then add the garlic. Stir till cooked – about 3 minutes. Transfer to a small dish, and then put back 1 tbs of the oil to the pot. Add the chili flakes to the small dish with garlic oil.
- Add leek/ onion to oil in the soup pot. Cook for ~5 min, stirring frequently.
- Pour in 8 cups of water, then rice, then chicken. Sprinkle some salt and the ginger powder. Bring to a boil, then simmer for ~20 min. Monitor your chicken – once it’s cooked, pull it (mine took 10 min).
- Remove chicken (keep rest of broth simmering) and shred using two forks. Add back into soup with peas, corn, and kale. Cook for 2-4 min, then serve with the chili garlic oil (on each bowl).