No matter the angle, these choc-oat-chip cookies dusted with pretzel and sea salt flakes knock it out of the park! Adapted from Half Baked Harvest’s cowboy cookies. Try these out ASAP.
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbs vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups oats (old fashioned)
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
- 1 cup pretzels, crushed*
- Flaky sea salt / sea salt grinder for dusting
- Two things. One, no need to preheat oven now. Two, prepare to walk the fine line of combining but not over-beating in these first steps.
- Okay, beat the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until combined in a large mixing bowl. Add the eggs, one at a time, continuing to beat. Finally, add the vanilla, and beat till creamy.
- Onto the dry ingredients. Add the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Incorporate. Mix in the oats and chocolate chips.
Now, preheat the oven to 350F and line 2-3 baking sheets with parchment paper. Let the batter rest for 20 min.
- Roll the dough into balls and put on a lined baking sheet. Using your finger, push pretzel chunks into each dough ball, then use your palm to flatten the ball gently.
- Bake for 5 minutes, remove, and do the “tap tap tap” rule (tap the baking sheet on the counter 3x). Bake for another 4-5 min, until the cookies just get golden on the edges. Remove, and do the tap tap tap rule one more time.
- Sprinkle with your sea salt and let cool. Enjoy!!!
*Note: I accidentally bought Trader Joe’s gluten free pretzels and THEY ARE AMAZING! I love pretzels, am not gluten free, and would readily buy again