Wishing you had an easy, 5 ingredient desert for tonight? I tried Gimme Some Oven’s lemon bars— they’re sweet, tart, custardy perfection!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cold butter, diced
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- ~4 lemons
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tbs all-purpose flour
- Optional- extra lemon slices for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a pan with parchment paper. The bigger your pan, the thinner your crust on the bottom will be (I used a 6X8).
- Combine 1.5 cups flour, 3/4 cup butter, 1/4 cup powdered sugar, and the zest of 1 of your lemons in a bowl. Either mix by hand (with 2 forks- dice your butter first) or in a food processor/stand mixer. Stop before it turns into a ball.
- This is your crust! Put it in the pan and use your hands to flatten. Bake for 20 min.
- While baking, turn to the lemon filling. Combine 4 eggs, 1 cup powdered sugar, the juice of 4 lemons (~1/2 cup) and 2 tbs flour. Whisk until combined. Try to get rid of bubbles/clumps (using a sieve or fork). Honestly, I didn’t have a sieve and had some clumps— I hid them under the lemon slices and didn’t taste the difference!
- Once the crust timer goes off, pour the filling on top and put right back in oven. Cook for 15- 20 min (check at 15 min mark), removing right when the filling has set.
- Let cool, then transfer to fridge to chill for >2 hrs.
- You can top with more powdered sugar (I didn’t – mine were already sweet enough) or lemon slices.
Disclaimer: these are not my typical health food. The healthy bars had far too many ingredients I felt were inaccessible and would end up half used on your shelves- which is not my MO ever. And hey, it’s quarantine, and it’s totally ok to treat yourself!
What if I want dessert but not this one? Don’t worry, I won’t be offended. Here are some of my other favorite simple desserts:
Want more Carmel Kama’aina content? Follow me on Instagram. All my latest recipes, poems, and behind the scenes tricks are published first on Instagram. Sneak a peek below: