As much as I love apples and love caramel (it’s so close to “Carmel” … how could I not?!), I’ve actually never loved caramel apples. I’m not quite sure why. What I do know, is that my summertime chocolate dipped watermelon is one of my favorite recipes to date so when Halloween came rolling around, I knew I’d have to recreate a harvest chocolate dipped treat. And so, I thought, why not put a twist on everyone’s favorite Halloween apples (caramel apples) but bring in a bit of that chocolate dipping that I’ve learned you all love?
(Serves 4– the number of slices will depend on how big you cut your apples)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (I prefer dark or semisweet chocolate)
- 2 tsp coconut oil (optional – see notes)
- 2 apples, sliced
- 10 soft caramel candies
- 1/2 tbs water
- Melt coconut oil and chocolate chips over low on the stove, stirring constantly so they don’t burn. Then, using the back of a wooden spoon, brush chocolate over all sides of the apple slices.
- Lay on a parchment or aluminum foil lined baking sheet and put in the fridge to harden for 30 min.
- With 10 min left, add caramel and water to a small pan. Melt together over medium. Let it sit for a minute to start to harden. Then, using a spoon, drizzle caramel on chocolate apples. Put back in fridge for 30 min.
The coconut oil is optional but helps to create a shell of the chocolate.
What if I want a healthy dessert but not this one? Don’t worry! I’ve got you covered below:
Want more Carmel Kama’aina content? Follow me on Instagram. All my latest recipes, poems, and behind the scenes tricks are published first on Instagram. Sneak a peek below: