Chocolate and watermelon. You might be asking yourself, as I did, is that really a good combination? I promise you, this recipe is easier and better than you EVER IMAGINED. The frozen watermelon tastes like a healthy popsicle that the salty chocolate compliments perfectly. These are my new go to summer treat, and they’re much healthier than the cookies I’ve been eating by the dozen!
(Makes 15-20 slices)
- 1/2 mini watermelon, seedless or de-seeded
- 3/4 cup semisweet or dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 tbs coconut oil
- Sea salt for sprinkling
- Wax oil/ parchment paper
- Cut the watermelon in thin, small slices. I cut mine in half, then slices, then cut each of those slices in thirds- but you can do whatever works for you.
- Line a baking tray/platter with parchment or wax paper. Put watermelon slices on it, then put in freezer for a bit (can skip if short on time).
- Heat coconut oil and chocolate chips on low heat in a small saucepan, stirring so doesn’t burn.
- Get watermelon out of freezer. They should be a bit more firm and easy to work with. Either use the back of a spoon, or dunk watermelon directly into melted chocolate. Put back on tray, sprinkle with sea salt and repeat till all watermelon have been dunked.
- Freeze for at least one hour to harden. Enjoy!
I broke a few of my watermelon slices while dunking and was worried that I ruined everything. This recipe is very forgiving. They’ll come out of the freezer looking better than they did when they went in. Don’t worry 🙂
What am I listening to as I make this? “This Life” by Vampire Weekend
What if you want to make something different with watermelon? You’re in luck because this recipe is a part of watermelon week!
Want more Carmel Kama’aina content? Follow me on Instagram. All my latest recipes and behind the scenes tricks are published first on Instagram. Check out this recipe on Instagram, below: