I am a sucker for weekend pancakes. Especially easy ones. I’ve seen recipes for protein powder pancakes over the years and I will admit, similar to the sweet potato boats, I thought they were just an Instagram/ Pinterest fad. I am now wrong on both accounts.
It definitely depends on the protein powder used, but with the right powder these are easy, filling, and taste just like the classic weekend treat. They also only have 6 ingredients in them and maybe take 15 minutes to make from start to finish (that’s being generous!).
- 1 overripe banana
- 2 eggs
- 2 scoops unsweetened vanilla protein powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
Topping ideas: berries, drizzle of honey, banana, cinnamon, powdered sugar, syrup, etc. I did cinnamon, honey, and blueberries!
- Put all ingredients in blender until combined. This batter will be thicker than normal pancake batter and akin to a smoothie. That’s okay!
- Heat up oiled skillet or griddle over medium-low. Scoop batter onto griddle. Let cook for 2-3 min, or until edges start to harden. Flip, then push down with spatula. Let cook for additional 1-2 minutes then flip again.
- Why flip again? This batter is a bit thicker than normal pancakes so needs help spreading out (the spatula push) and a second flip to cook the batter that pushes out.
- Once they’re cooked on both sides- enjoy! These are shockingly fluffy for the thick batter and best enjoyed hot.
Makes 1 dozen silver dollar pancakes- I found these to be surprisingly filling for their small size (probably the protein) but my dad was still hungry. For two super hungry eaters consider doubling the recipe!
I used Tone it Up’s new unsweetened vanilla protein. I’m a fan! I did a lot of research before purchasing because I had a clear idea of what I wanted: plant based (but a blend of plant proteins), something unsweetened and without additives, and that would seamlessly blend into my smoothies without any chalky texture or weird tastes. This checks all the boxes, and I love that it’s made for women, by women.
What am I listening to as I cook this? “Cracklin’ Rosie” by Neil Diamond
Looking for more Carmel Kama’aina brunch inspiration? Check out the below!
Want more Carmel Kama’aina content? Follow me on Instagram. All my latest recipes and behind the scenes tricks are published first on Instagram. Check out this recipe on Instagram, below: