I really wanted to call this my “bursting blueberry salad” but thought perhaps that was being unfair to the other ingredients and/or sounded like a giant mess waiting to happen. In any case, this salad really is bursting with blueberries and perfect to put on your radar as summer blueberry season approaches.
This is also salad is super customizable. For vegetarians, simply remove the chicken. Dairy free? Forget the feta! Want to have it as a side dish? Go the veggie way and remove the chicken.
- 1 cucumber, cut in quarter moons
- 1 cup blueberries
- Handful of feta
- 1 large chicken breast
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 handfuls of arugula (or preferred greens)
- Salt and pepper
- 2 Tbs avocado oil + more for cooking
- 1/2 cup cilantro or parsley, finely chopped
- Cube chicken. Season chicken in salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Heat oil over medium and add chicken cubes. Set aside once cooked.
- While cooking, make dressing (pausing from time to time to check on chicken). Combine 2 tbs oil, 1/2 cup cilantro/ parsley, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper in blender and combine.
- Cut cucumber and put in bowl with feta, arugula, and blueberries. Add chicken once done, then drizzle with dressing. Enjoy! Will serve two.
What am I listening to as I make this? “Cold Cold Man” by Saint Motel
What can I learn while I make this? I think we have all heard blueberries are bursting (sorry, I cannot let that one go) with antioxidants so I will spare you the health benefits facts. Instead, did you know there are actually two types of blueberries? The ones we think of are “highbush” blueberries aka the ones in stores and farmers’ markets. But there are also “lowbush” blueberries which are smaller and used for jams, mixes, juices, etc. Additionally, there are a few more varieties, e.g. a hybrid of highbush and lowbush. The more you know!
What if I want a salad but maybe not this one? Don’t worry, I won’t be offended. Check out a few more below:
Want more Carmel Kama’aina content? Follow me on Instagram. All my latest recipes and behind the scenes tricks are published first on Instagram. Check out this recipe on Instagram, below: