I’ve always been a Greek yogurt fan, but the full on convert to Greek-yogurt-as-a-cooking-staple evangelist began when I started experimenting with Greek yogurt in loafs and cakes. And now that I’ve started, I can’t stop. IT IS AMAZING. Not only does it help you greatly reduce your butter needed, but it makes the texture perfectly fluffy and moist. The one two punch is pairing it with avocado oil as I do in this recipe. Expect this to become a staple in my baked goods going forward!
(Makes a 9*5 loaf)
For the cinnamon crumble-
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1.5 tbsp cold butter, cubed
For the loaf-
- 1/4 cup avocado oil (or canola)
- 3/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/3 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1.5 tsp ground cinnamon (1 tsp in batter and 1/2 tsp to sprinkle on top)
- 2 tsp brown sugar (to sprinkle on top)
- Prep first. Preheat your oven to 350F and line and lightly grease/ spray a loaf pan (I used a 9×5).
- Make your cinnamon crumble first. Mix all ingredients in a small bowl, except for a butter. Cut butter into thin slices, then using a fork, mash it into the flour to form the crumbs set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together all wet cake ingredients. Then stir in the dry.
- Pour half of the cake batter into your loaf pan. Sprinkle in the cinnamon crumble, then layer the other half of the cake batter on top. Sprinkle 1 tbs brown sugar and 1/2 tbs cinnamon on top.
- Bake for 25 minutes, then do the toothpick test. If it comes out clean, pull the loaf. If not, bake for an additional 5 min (or until it does!). Mine took 40 minutes but every oven is different 🙂
What am I listening to as I make this? “Casio” by Jungle (I know, big Jungle week)
What if I want something with Greek Yogurt but not this?
Want more Carmel Kama’aina content? Follow me on Instagram. All my latest recipes and behind the scenes tricks are published first on Instagram. Check out this recipe on Instagram, below:
What about 3-4 recipes weekly with corresponding grocery lists weekly? Sign up for the Carmel Kama’aina weekly blast: